Skip to content

St. Peter and St. Paul’s Church, Ashington

2013

Ashington originated as a chapelry of Washington, but was created a Parish in its own right c. 1190. A chantry (a chapel endowed for priests to sing masses for the founder’s soul) existed at Ashington Church c. 1548. The Church of St. Peter and St. Paul is of stone and flint with stone dressings and comprises chancel with North vestry, nave, South aisle, and South porch. Before reconstruction in 1871–2, it had a short undivided nave and chancel with South porch, and a West bell turret, with low-shingled broach spire; the latter recorded from the 16th Century. The complete Victorian floor was removed in 2009 and replaced with a dry-installed system floor construction incorporating underfloor heating.